MonashHeart’s non invasive imaging services is one of the largest in Victoria, performing over 16,500 studies per year including 445 transoesophageal and over 2,300 stress echocardiogram studies. Echocardiograms are available for both adult and paediatric patients at all three MonashHeart sites.
- The adult service is staffed by seven dedicated echocardiologists who have all undertaken subspecialty training in echocardiography, four of whom have PhD’s. All are experts in echocardiography and are actively involved in undergraduate, postgraduate and sonography teaching and research.
- Our echocardiography laboratories use state-of-the-art echocardiography machines which have the latest applications for 3-dimensional echocardiography (both transthoracic and transoesophageal) and quantification of myocardial function. We also have access to intravenous contrast agents which provide opacification of the left ventricular cavity and allow diagnostics scans to be obtained in even the most difficult cases.
- Our cardiac sonographers, who perform transthoracic and stress echo studies, are trained to the highest standards and are constantly updating their skills.
- As cardiac ultrasound is safe, non invasive and relatively inexpensive, it is a widely applicable test for patients with suspected cardiac dysfunction and can be ordered by general practitioners and specialists to assess cardiac structure and function. For echocardiography indications please see our referral guidelines.
- More information is available on our website regarding which services are provided at which site as well as how to make referrals. All our outpatient echocardiograms are bulk billed and there is no out-of-pocket cost.