The Monash Cardiovascular Research Centre (MCRC) is a self-funding, independent research group within the Faculty of Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences at Monash University (through the Southern Clinical School and Departments of Medicine and Surgery, Monash Medical Centre).
MCRC mission statement
To be an internationally recognised centre for cardiovascular clinical research and clinical research training and to partner MonashHeart in being recognised as a leading hub of cardiological excellence worldwide.
To achieve our mission MCRC will:
- provide an unparalleled clinical research environment
- enhance and develop the work of established clinical investigators
- foster excellence in clinical research training for investigators
- provide an infrastructure to attract external funding
We benchmark our progress against stated outcome measures including:
- publications in high-impact peer-reviewed journals
- attraction of high quality clinical fellows for advanced training
- participation in national advisory panels and guideline committees
- participation and leadership in international multicentre clinical trials
- invitations to participate at national and international scientific sessions
- attraction of external funds, both peer-reviewed and industry sources
MCRC research group
International standard clinical and transitional research undertaken within MCRC supports the continued uptake by Monash Health clinical services of state-of-the-art cardiological and cardiothoracic treatments to improve the cardiovascular health of the people of Melbourne, of Victoria and on a national and international level. The MCRC optimises university and hospital structures to enable the implementation of strategies to achieve research goals. Since 2006 MCRC has also included researchers from The Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery Monash Health and the paediatric cardiology service, now part of MonashHeart.
MCRC is responsible for:
basic, applied and transitional research undertaken within MonashHeart
- coordinating research plans as detailed in MonashHeart and Monash Health strategic plans
- improving the quality of education of our future healthcare providers across all care disciplines including cardiovascular medicine, cardiac nursing and cardiac technology
MCRC has an international reputation for excellence and achievement in basic and translational research, supporting the uptake of state-of-the-art cardiovascular treatments into clinical service.
The research team is led by Professor James Cameron and supported by MCRC manager Ms Mary-Anne Austin. MCRC’s research intimately relates with the clinical care of patients throughout the MonashHeart service.
MCRC and MonashHeart offer daily clinical educational sessions, along with research meetings with all key MonashHeart clinical service groups.