MonashHeart is the largest provider of inpatient cardiac services in Victoria, admitting over 7,246 patients with acute heart problems to its cardiac care units each year.
Acute cardiac inpatient services are provided through these four units:
- A 21 bed cardiac care unit at Monash Medical Centre, Clayton
- A 16 bed cardiac care unit at Dandenong Hospital
- A 24 bed combined cardiology and cardiothoracic unit at Monash Medical Centre, Clayton
- A 26 bed cardiac care unit at Jessie McPherson Private Hospital, Clayton
MonashHeart became a luminary site for the 320-slice Toshiba Aquilion One CT scanner in September 2008, the first health service to do so in the southern hemisphere. In 2012 the scanner was upgraded to the Toshiba ViSION.
- The scanner provides the most current technology in CT (scanning up to 16cm in a single rotation using 320 detector-rows) which means that it can scan the entire heart in a single rotation in less than half a second, with excellent image quality and very low dose of radiation.
- We perform over 3,270 cardiac CT scans each year, non-invasively diagnosing coronary artery and congenital heart disease, making it one of the busiest scanners in the world.
- We are the only site in Australia where patients with acute chest pain are managed using a cardiac CT guided approach.
- MonashHeart’s cardiac CT service is unique in that cardiac findings are dual reported by both a reporting cardiologist and radiologist, ensuring a superior reporting service to all patients.
- We are one of the biggest cardiac CT education providers in Australia to both cardiologists and radiologists through cardiac CT courses and mini fellowships throughout the year.
It allows MonashHeart to not only deliver excellence in cardiac clinical services but also enables world-leading research to be conducted by clinicians.
Cardiac Rhythm Management Services correct problems with the heart rhythm, known as cardiac arrhythmias – such as when the heart beats too fast or slow or if it beats in an abnormal way.
- Cardiac rhythm heart specialists are known as electrophysiologists, they are ‘electricians’ of the heart, and are specialist doctors who have completed additional advanced training in heart rhythm diagnosis, management and procedures.
- Depending on the cause of heart rhythm problems, different treatments are available; from no treatment, lifestyle modification, drug treatment, surgery or minimally invasive procedures performed in the cardiac catheterisation laboratory.
- Each year we perform close to 720 device implantations (pacemakers which regulate slow heart rhythms and implantable cardiac defibrillators which regulate dangerous fast heart arrhythmias). 381 electrophysiology studies are performed each year (a study which seeks to stimulate abnormal heart rhythms so the electrophysiologist can then ablate and cure the rhythm disorder).
Cardiothoracic services are provided by the Cardiothoracic Unit of Monash Health, led by Professor Julian Smith. Based at Monash Medical Centre, Clayton, open heart surgery includes coronary artery bypass grafting, heart valve repair or replacement, surgical techniques for heart arrhythmias and surgeries to correct congenital heart defects in adolescents and adults.
Patients can choose to be treated as a private patient through Jessie McPherson Hospital or as a public patient via Monash Medical Centre, Clayton.
Interventional cardiology comprises techniques that allow cardiologists to gain access to the heart to perform diagnostic and treatment procedures such as:
- coronary angiography
- coronary angioplasty
These types of procedures are especially useful in emergency situations such as when a patient is experiencing a heart attack, enabling the cardiologist to gain quick access to the arteries of the heart to open blood vessels and improve coronary artery blood flow.
- MonashHeart’s interventional service is a unique blend of experience and innovation. This fusion ensures there is a comprehensive team to manage all aspects of patient care.
- Among the procedures performed at MonashHeart, some of the highest numbers were performed in:
- percutaneous coronary intervention (1405 cases, 2017)
- heart attack angioplasty (395 cases, 2017)
- coronary angiograms (3,309 cases, 2017)
- Our service also boasts a comprehensive research component, establishing MonashHeart as a leading service of excellence. Each year MonashHeart is invited to transmit ‘live cases’ from the cardiac catheterisation laboratories via satellite to international cardiology conferences in Europe, America and Asia.
MonashHeart is one of the largest non invasive imaging services in Victoria, performing 16,790 echocardiograms each year for newborns through to adults.
- Echocardiography (heart ultrasound) is a completely safe, painless and non invasive test used to assess heart structure and function involving the placement of an ultrasound transducer on the chest wall to bounce sound waves off the heart chambers and valves. From the reflected ultrasound, a dynamic image of the heart is obtained.
- The adult service is staffed by cardiologists who have all undertaken sub-specialty training in echocardiography (many of whom have completed higher degrees such as PhD). The paediatric service is provided by paediatric cardiologist specialists, who are experts in non invasive imaging and are actively involved in teaching and research.
- Echocardiograms are performed by a cardiac sonographer, a cardiac physiologist who has undergone extensive training to qualify in the field of echocardiography.
MonashHeart uniquely offers comprehensive cardiology services to patients from foetal life and throughout childhood to the age of 18 as well as treatment of adult patients with congenital heart disease.
- Services include:
- cardiac rhythm management (electrophysiology, ablation and implantation of pacemakers or implantable cardiac defibrillators to children weighing more than 30 kilograms)
- limited interventional procedures
- Cardiac CT (Computed Tomography)
- foetal echocardiography
- cardiac surgery services (provided by the Cardiothoracic Unit) to adolescents and adults with congenital heart disease.
- Outpatient consultation clinics are provided at three sites; MonashHeart Clayton Suite D, Monash Children’s Clayton and MonashHeart Casey where referrals are accepted from GPs, paediatricians and specialists.
- Adolescent & Adult Congenital Heart Disease Clinic
- Paediatric Murmur Clinic
- General Cardiology Clinic
- A range of cardiology outpatient tests are provided at all three sites including:
- MonashHeart Clayton (cardiac CT, echocardiography, exercise stress testing, 12-lead electrocardiogram, Holter and blood pressure monitoring)
- MonashHeart Dandenong (echocardiography, Holter and blood pressure monitoring)
- MonashHeart Casey (echocardiography, Holter and blood pressure monitoring).
- A referral from a paediatric cardiologist is required for an echocardiogram, exercise stress test and cardiac CT while a GP or specialist referral is accepted for Holter and blood pressure monitoring.
- Inpatient care is provided at
- Monash Children’s Hospital Newborn Intensive Care and Special Care Nurseries
- Monash Children’s Hospital paediatric wards
- Monash Children’s Hospital Cancer Centre
- Cardiac Care Unit, Monash Medical Centre Clayton
- Monash Children’s Hospital Paediatric Intensive Care Unit
- Jessie McPherson Private Hospital, Clayton