These busy training positions are designed to educate the successful applicants in diagnostic and interventional electrophysiology (EP) and device therapy. We offer two cardiac rhythm management (CRM) fellowship positions over a two year training period. Our program is geared to those looking towards an academic and research career in CRM cardiology. MonashHeart has considerable involvement in national and international research, particularly interventional clinical trials.
The CRM service implants over 720 devices and performs over 280 EP studies per year including pulmonary vein isolation (PVI), cryo-ablation and 3D cardiac mapping. The renovated MonashHeart CRM laboratory at Monash Medical Centre, Clayton, Victoria, is dedicated to:
- conducting CRM procedures (five days per week)
- providing adult CRM services
- providing paediatric CRM services (fortnightly)
The CRM service also offers a specialised Cardiac Inherited Diseases Clinic and a Complex Atrial Fibrilation Assessment Clinic each fortnight.
Education, training and reserach
Academic research is an integral component of our CRM program. All fellows are expected to actively undertake research projects and to regularly publish papers. Fellows are to aim to present at local Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand (CSANZ) and international meetings (Heart Rhythm Society).
All CRM research is conducted in close collaboration with the Monash Cardiovascular Research Centre within MonashHeart where there is the support of the Director, Professor James Cameron, Manager and a team of scientists and research nurses.
A weekly CRM educational meeting is held highlighting current concepts as well as providing opportunities for teaching. Other educational forums conducted by MonashHeart include the weekly ‘Current Concepts in Cardiology’, the combined cardiology/cardiac surgery cardiac conference conducted each week, the non invasive imaging weekly echo education forum, the weekly interventional session, and the weekly registrar education forum.
- Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians (FRACP) or equivalent medical degree registrable in Victoria
- At least 3 years advanced training in Cardiology at a recognized tertiary centre
- Completion of 200 primary diagnostic angiograms as the first operator (as per the FRACP Specialist Advisory Committee for Cardiology 2005 guidelines)
- MD or PhD, or a strong commitment to complete a MD or PhD
Enquiries and applications to:
Dr Jeff Alison
Head of Cardiac Rhythm Management
Tel: +61 3 9594 7855
Fax : +61 3 9594 6239
Mail: MonashHeart, Monash Medical Centre, 246 Clayton Road, Clayton 3168